Sunday, April 13, 2014

Respect At Workplace : Reasons & Remedy

Recently read an article in Forbes showing that 80% people do not get respect at Work Place. As education levels are increasing what is making us lose the social touch.
Students are provided Life Skills in new Curriculums but they hardly show any qualities in their real life as students. Moreover we are role based human beings & are situational in our behavior.
So while there were only statistics in the article  I began introspection & analytics into lack of respect at workplace.
What may be the reasons of not getting respect at workplace.
1.       Incompetence , can be corrected through training.
2.       Over competence,  following group norms can help.
3.       Using gender to extract undue benefits, corrected through ethical gender behavior.
4.       Lack of Character, very difficult to hide
5.       Not getting along with people due to different culture & sensibilities.
6.       Being a Individual player in a team setting.
7.        Generation Gap
8.       Different Sexual Orientations
9.       Being a different race
10.   Being honest or dishonest in a wrong setting
It’s a complex problem to fetch respect. Its leadership if you get respect of 80% people & don’t get into dirty situations with the other 20%.
Also to get respect it’s important to give respect. Be cosmopolitan, broadminded & open to horizon expanding stretch experiences.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thriving in a Political Environment

Umpteen number of times people complain about the political nature of their jobs.

Now come on we can't escape from the fact that man is a political animal. With 200 govt's of the world some nation or the other is always on polls, not to talk about the various wars that countries indulge in.

So all in all it can be called politics and hostility or simply HUMAN DYNAMICS.

So one should learn to adapt to Human Dynamics. And managers should make sure they know how to harness the dysfunctional politics and CONVERT into functional conflicts which boost productivity of the Human Capital and improves the general psychological well being of the organization.

The psychological or emotional health of the organization is to be lead by key people.
The role of the managers in this regard is to show magnanimity and leadership in not involving in petty ego stands.

Remember the show should go on and to achieve that numbers have to be churned every quarter.

This can not be achieved with out study and stoic emotional intelligence of the org.
which has to be guided and moulded from time to time.